Which VPN Protocol Should I Use?
A VPN offers multiple protocols to secure your data from various online threats. However, each of these protocols differs from one another and offer different levels of security. Our VPN reviews provide in-depth information about the protocols offered by each of these VPN providers. That said, here are the strengths and weaknesses of protocols:
- PPTP:It is considered the least secure VPN protocol and can be breached easily by surveillance agencies and hackers. However, PPTP is best for streaming as it does not compromise your internet speeds and allows fast performance.
- L2TP/IPSec:It is more secure than PPTP and offers reliable security to all VPN users. L2TP/IPSec works well on all iOS devices and platforms that don’t support OpenVPN. On the downside, L2TP/IPSec can hamper your performance and can be a bit tricky to setup.
- OpenVPN:This is the best VPN protocol you can use today. It is considered the most secure protocol and also delivers great performance. Due to its open source nature, OpenVPN does not have backdoors for governmental agencies such as NSA.
- SSTP:Only available on Windows platform. That said, SSTP does offer reliable security and privacy. However, due to its limited compatibility, not many VPN providers offer SSTP protocol.
- IKEv2:It is also a strong protocol that can protect your privacy and security against greatest of threats if implemented through open source. IKEv2 is really useful for mobile users, incase OpenVPN is not supported.
Who Needs VPN?
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an economical & top-grade solution for robust online protection and superior data privacy. Considering the privacy & unblocking needs of a modern day user, VPN has proven to be an affordable option. In addition to this, following user types find VPN to be the most suitable solution for desired proposes:
When we talk about entertainment channels, not all countries are served the same. Various hit channels like HBO Now, Fox GO, Channel 7, Nine Network, Netflix, 4oD, Cinema Now, ESPN and more channels are geo-restricted in many parts of the world.
To get around with the geo-restrictions, fanatics find VPN as a one-stop solution to instantly access thousands of blocked channels from anywhere in the world.
Tourists and travelers use public WiFi networks (Coffee Shop, Hotel, and other public places) as a prime solution to get connected with friends and family members located in different regions of the world.
However, various state-sponsored agencies, hackers, identity thieves, data phishers, and other cyber goons are searching ways to intrude into users’ data privacy. A VPN, in this case, provides first-grade data encryption, while ensuring robust data privacy and online security to users.
VoIP & Instant Messenger Subscribers
Gone are the days when users relied on over-priced carrier packages for calling their loved ones. The VoIP and instant messaging services (IMO, Skype, Viber, Line, Messenger, WhatsApp) with their free plans have now become users’ top choice for communication.
However, ISP monitoring and unauthorized surveillance have left users with no other option except to compromise on their privacy and let ISP poke nose in their private calls and messages. To get around with unauthorized surveillance, a VPN encrypts your entire traffic and makes you anonymous to almost every person on earth who wants to eavesdrop on your privacy.
Online Transactions & Crypto Currency Users
Securing one’s financial information holds prime importance for the majority of users. Various hackers, identity thieves, and cyber criminals are seeking ways to get access to users’ credit card information, bank balance and more sensitive information. To secure your online transactions, a VPN offers military grade protection to your network connection, while keeping the cyber criminals at bay.
In addition to this, various users have reported facing issues while accessing online banking from abroad. A VPN in this situation allows you to spoof location to the desired country, so you can access your account and perform secure transactions from any corner of the world.
Cloud Storage Subscribers
Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud and other cloud storage services have taken the place of traditional hard drives and USBs. With the revolution of technology, users have adapted the new technology to store personal pictures, videos & documents, without considering the associated threats.
To stay safe and protect your passwords from hackers, users choose VPN for a top-notch password encryption and reliable online protection.